Pursuing or Defending Law Enforcement Civil Rights or Criminal Cases
New and experienced plaintiff and defense civil rights attorneys can learn from one of America's foremost forensics and law enforcement experts, Dr. Ron Martinelli, on selecting or defending state and federal Title 42 §1983 USC law enforcement practices cases and selecting the right experts for their cases.
Too many plaintiff attorneys waste precious time and money in trying to represent clients against federal, state and municipal entities and their law enforcement agencies, only to have their cases dismissed on Summary Judgment, or by triers of fact. Defending attorneys will learn the strengths and weaknesses of plaintiff cases they are defending.
This topic will assist attorneys in identifying valid from ‘loser' cases. Learn what cases to fight and which to offer a settlement on. In the legal community where there is a plethora of so-called ‘police experts,' this material will also provide important insight in how to select the proper law enforcement and forensic experts to review and opine on your important cases.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- How to Select the Right Civil Rights Case
- Do You Have a Winnable Case?
- How to Identify and Articulate Your Complaint for Damages
- How to Identify and Request Meaningful Discovery
- How to Select and Interview a Law Enforcement Expert
- Separating the Wheat From the Chaff
- How Many Experts Will You Need?
- What Experts Cost and Why
- Critical Attorney and Expert Mistakes
- Identifying Strengths and Weaknesses of Your Case
- What to Expect From Your Expert's Report
- Writing Deposition Questions
- Trial Strategy
- Your Attitude – How Not to Screw up With Your Expert and at Trial
Credit Information (Sponsored by Lorman Education Services):
For Detailed Credit Information page click
Only registered attendee will receive continuing education credit.
Ron Martinelli, Ph.D., BCFT, CFA, CLS, Martinelli & Associates, Justice & Forensic Consultants, Inc.
- Founder of Martinelli & Associates, Justice & Forensic Consultants, Inc., a multinational law enforcement, forensic and legal consulting, and training firm
- Nationally renowned forensics and law enforcement expert with 28 years of law enforcement civil and criminal defense and prosecution experience
- Been referred to as “The Expert’s Expert,” directs the nation’s only multidisciplinary Forensic Death Investigations & Independent Review Team
- Only law enforcement expert in the country who is also certified as a medical investigator at the physician’s level
- Prevailing expert in more than 90% of his retained cases and specializes in nationally high-profile civil and criminal officer-involved death cases
- Well-known media consultant and crime expert to FOX News, OAN, CNN, HLN, NPR, USA TODAY and the History and Discovery Channels
- Currently experts for USDOJ, several States Attorney Generals’ Offices, major municipalities and a number of prominent civil rights law firms
- Retired police officer and investigator with more than 35 years of law enforcement, forensic experting and police training experience
- Writer of four texts and numerous training manuals on the subjects of police practices, investigations, use of force and psychophysiology
- Received Lorman’s Platinum Distinguished Faculty Award for his national webinars and lecture presentations
- Can be contacted at 951-719-1450, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.martinelliandassoc.com