Stay up-to-date on the ever evolving laws and regulations governing prize promotions.
As consumers shift more of their time and attention from traditional forms of media to social and mobile media, marketers are devoting more resources to reaching eyes and ears through new media.
While there's nothing new about prize promotions such as sweepstakes and contests, merging such promotions with social and mobile media can be a particularly efficient and effective way of engaging consumers. Conducting a prize promotion through new media can, however, raise a host of - sometimes unanticipated - legal issues.
As the regulatory landscape governing social and mobile media continues to evolve, marketers utilizing new media must adapt and be cognizant of potential legal issues. This live topic will provide an in-depth review of the legal issues relating to conducting a prize promotion through social and/or mobile media.
Areas Covered in the Session:
Background Regarding Laws Governing Prize Promotions
- Lottery Laws
- State Consumer Promotions Laws
- Official Rules for Prize Promotions
- Special Considerations: International Prize Promotions, Prize Promotions
- Targeting Children; Gaming and Gamification
Conducting Prize Promotions Through Social Media
- Issues Relating to User Generated Content (UGC)
- Special Considerations Relating to Advertising Prize Promotions Through Social
- Media: Privacy, Can-Spam/Refer-A-Friend, Rewards Programs and Other Issues
Prize Promotions Using Mobile Platforms
Text Messaging as Part of Entry and/or Winner Selection Processes
Advertising Prize Promotions Through Mobile Media
Credit Information (Sponsored by Lorman Education Services):
For Detailed Credit Information page click
Only registered attendee will receive continuing education credit.
Melissa Landau Steinman, Venable LLP
- Partner at Venable LLP
- Practice focuses on advertising, marketing and new media, as well as distribution antitrust
- Counsels some of the nation’s largest CPG brands, media and technology companies, hospitality chains and retailers on advertising and promotions, distribution, pricing, warranties, product safety and other matters
- Represents clients in private and government litigation, and before self-regulatory bodies such as the NAD, CARU and the ESRP
- Has extensive experience in consumer promotions law, with specialized expertise in social media, gift cards, incentives and loyalty programs, and sweepstakes and contests law
- Frequent lecturer and writer on topics relevant to promotions and advertising law, particularly social media, prize promotions and gift card topics
- Contributed to the American Bar Association's update of its Consumer Protection Law Handbook, the Brand Activation Association’s treatise on Promotion Marketing Law, and Globe Law and Business’ International Advertising Law, and also wrote the social media and charitable sales promotions chapters for an upcoming ABA Handbook on advertising claims substantiation
- Speaks extensively on marketing, advertising, social media, sweepstakes, gift card and promotions topics; her commentary has appeared nationally
- Wrote and edited the Guide to Federal and State Regulation of Advertising, a comprehensive two volume book on the law of advertising and promotions
- Member of Board of the Brand Activation Association
- Recognized in the 2010 to 2014 editions of Legal 500 for her work in sweepstakes and social media
- J.D. degree, Harvard Law School; B.A. degree, cum laude, Columbia University
- Can be contacted at 202-344-4972 or email@example.com