Gain a better understanding of what to expect during a sales and use tax audit and how to respond to an auditor's request.
Businesses everywhere and potentially everyday receive what we like to call a state 'love letter' - a dreaded notification of a sales and use tax audit. For some businesses they might not have ever gone through a state sales and use tax audit.
The thoughts of an audit can feel like a very overwhelming task but it does not have to be, we are here to explain the ins and outs of a sales and use tax audit. Our hope is that when you receive that 'love letter', shear panic does not come over you. This topic will educate everyone on the different stages of an audit and what to expect in each stage. This material will also assist you in developing a plan for future compliance.
Lastly, we will discuss some industry specific issues that might arise during a sales and use tax audit. Our goal is to help you feel prepared for a sales and use tax audit to help avoid audit pitfalls that can lead to significant assessments.
- You will be able to understand the different stages of a sales/use tax audit and the importance of each stage.
- You will be able to identify the do's and don'ts of a sales/use tax audit.
- You will be able to discuss the first steps your business should take when you receive a state 'love letter'.
- You will be able to recognize the importance of how you respond to an auditor's request is just as important as the information that you are providing.
- You will be able to identify key dates during an audit process so that key deadlines are not missed.
This Live Webinar Covers These Hot Issues:
- Audit Letter/Power of Attorney Form
- Steps to Be Taken Once Receive "Love Letter" From State
- Audit Questionnaire
- Preliminary Review of Audit Records
- Audit Approaches
- Fixed Assets
- Expense Items
- Sales Tax
- Exemption Certificates
- Review Audit Results
- Know Your Rights for Protest
- Penalty Abatement
- Future Compliance
Industry Specific Audit Issues
- Service Industry
Credit Information (Sponsored by Lorman Education Services):
- Enrolled Agents
For Detailed Credit Information page click here
Only registered attendee will receive continuing education credit.
Mary Jo Dolson, CPA, Skoda Minotti
- State and Local Tax Partner, Skoda Minotti. Based out of Tampa office but covers all offices
- Specializes in all aspects of state and local tax issues. Has handled numerous audits for both state income tax and sales and use tax. Also has experience in payroll and unclaimed fund issues. Not only provides assistance with audits but has provided consulting to clients on similar issues and on tax planning
- Has presented on numerous state and local tax seminars both internally and externally covering various aspects of State and Local Taxation
- Graduate of Youngstown State University and a CPA
- Member of OSCPA, AICPA and FICPA
- Can be contacted by email at MDolson@Skodaminotti.com, by phone at 813-386-3881 or on Twitter® @Skodaminotti
Mark Thomas, Skoda Minotti
- Senior State and Local Tax Consultant, Skoda Minotti. Based out of Fairlawn office
- Previous experience as an audit manager with the Ohio Department of Taxation, spanning a 30-year career
- Specializes in all aspects of state and local tax issues. Has handled numerous audits in sales and use tax in multiple states, as well as provide sales and use tax research for clients in numerous states. Also has experience in Ohio CAT tax
- Has presented on state and local tax seminars both internally and externally covering Sales and Use Tax topics
- Graduate of Youngstown State University
- Can be contacted by email at email@example.com, by phone at 330-576-1833 or on Twitter® @Skodaminotti