Understand your paralegal duties to identify and prevent ethics violations and manage the law office.
Paralegals are a very important part of the law firm’s legal team and participate in almost all aspects of the provision of legal services to clients. Paralegals can perform multiple tasks and projects under the supervision of a licensed attorney and must be on the front lines to manage the law office and prevent ethics violations.
This topic will help paralegals to identify crucial ethics issues and traps for the unwary and either prevent issues from occurring or manage issues when they occur.
Areas Covered in the Session:
- How to Handle Client Intake
- How to Avoid Conflicts of Interest
- How to Preserve Client Confidentiality
- How to Avoid Ethics and Social Media Pitfalls
- How to Manage Client Matters and Files
- How to Handle File Closing and Records Management/Retention
- Non-Lawyers and Ethics Rules
- Ethical Fees and Fee Agreements
Credit Information (Sponsored by Lorman Education Services):
For Detailed Credit Information page click
Only registered attendee will receive continuing education credit.
Joseph A. Corsmeier, Esq., The Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A.
- Founder and president/owner of The Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A.
- Practices primarily in the areas of attorney disciplinary defense before The Florida Bar, attorney admission matters before the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, professional license and disciplinary matters before the boards of the State of Florida
- Provides expert analysis and opinions on ethics issues, legal malpractice, conflicts of interest, fees, attorney disqualification, and other matters and has testified as an expert in both federal and Florida courts
- Frequent speaker and has written numerous publications on topics including ethics and professionalism, law office management, fees, trust accounting, social media, technology, conflicts of interest, and other topics
- Holds the highest lawyer rating with Martindale-Hubbell and AVVO Law Directories; designated as a Super Lawyer
- Admitted to practice in all Florida courts, the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the eleventh circuit, and the middle district of Florida
- Member of the American Bar Association, the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, and the Clearwater and St. Petersburg Bar Associations; served as director of the Clearwater Bar Association, 2004-2009, and president, 2009-2010
- Adjunct professor of paralegal ethics at St. Petersburg College
- J.D. degree, Mercer University Walter F. George School of Law; B.A. degree, Florida State University
- Can be contacted at 727-799-1688 or firstname.lastname@example.org